Follow these two simple keys to help your cat or dog live a healthy life.
Our dogs and cats are under a lot of physical stress these days. Their bodies, like ours, are frequently exposed to toxins, free radicals, and other pressures that can negatively impact their health and even shorten their lives. Making sure your companion maintains a healthy and balanced immune system, and that his body’s cells are protected from the oxidative stress that can lead to illness, are two key ways to help ensure he stays well.
1. Healthy Immunity
A properly functioning immune system means your dog or cat is better protected against a range of illnesses, from allergies to infectious disease to cancer. Here are some ways to help boost his immunity.
- Make sure he’s eating a high quality diet that’s free of additives and includes whole meats, fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Ensure he has 24/7 access to fresh, pure drinking water.
- Talk to a holistic or integrative veterinarian about any supplements, including antioxidants (more on this at right) your companion would benefit from.
- Minimize the number of vaccines he receives.
- Regular exercise is very important – whether indoors or out. Spending time in sunlight provides him with vitamin D.
- Ensure he doesn’t become overweight or obese – a good diet and exercise are your friends here.
- Eliminate or at least minimize his exposure to chemicals such as household cleaners, pesticides, etc.
- Essiac® For Pets from Altramed provides immune system support for dogs and cats. This herbal formula was developed for human use in 1922 by nurse Rene Caisse, who received it from a Canadian Ojibwa Indian. The products are still available today, and include a product designed especially for animals. It contains burdock root, sheep sorrel leaves, slippery elm bark and Indian rhubarb root – all herbs that help strengthen the immune system.
2. Antioxidant Support
Vitamin C and bioflavanoids are potent antioxidants that help protect the body against illness by counteracting the cellular damage caused by oxidating free radicals. These nutrients were part of an extract prepared from the bark of white pine trees by the indigenous people of Canada. It prevented scurvy, a serious disease caused by a lack of vitamin C. French explorer Jacques Cartier wrote in his journal that this preparation helped him and his men survive the long, harsh winter.
Altramed’s Tru-Pine® for Pets is a potent antioxidant formulated specifically for dogs and cats. It’s made from rose hips, white pine bark extract and vitamin C. The white pine bark extract is a rich source of proanthocyanidins (OPCs), a class of bioflavonoids that offer antioxidant properties and protect your animal’s body against environmental factors that damage healthy cells. Research has demonstrated that although OPCs are found in many plants, white pink bark is the best source. Historically, white pine bark is also known for having anti-inflammatory properties.
By paying attention to the health of your dog or cat’s immune system, and supporting him with antioxidants, you can help keep him in optimal condition.