Pumpkin spice season is here! Celebrate with your dog by baking a batch of these delicious – and nutritious – pumpkin spice dog treats.
Canines might not be as obsessed with all things pumpkin spice as their human counterparts, but most won’t turn away a homemade cookie! These pumpkin spice dog treats were inspired by the ginger snaps my grandmother used to make for me when I was a young girl. The pumpkin and peanut butter are a nice twist that adds some natural sweetness to these sugar-free goodies which, of course, are 100% safe for dogs.
In fact, some of the ingredients in these treats boast some great health benefits! Flax seeds, for instance, are chock full of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and fiber. Oat and sorghum flours are great gluten-free alternatives to traditional white and whole wheat flours, while all the spices listed below pack an anti-inflammatory punch. So you can rest assured that these delightful biscuits are good for your dog. And judging by the drool that pours out of my rescue pup’s mouth as I bake them, they taste pretty darn good, too!
|Preparation: 10 minutes||Cook time: 35 minutes||Makes 20 biscuits|
1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
1 tablespoon coconut oil, softened
1/8 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup oat flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 pinch of ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combined liquid ingredients: pumpkin, coconut oil, peanut butter and egg.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, flax seeds and spices. Combine well.
- Prepare a flour-coated surface. Roll the dough evenly to ¼” thick.
- Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut out the treats. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool well before serving. If desired, pack treats into sealed glass jars to give to your dog’s friends!