Is it safe to give dogshydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting?

Is it safe to give dogs a small amount of hydrogen peroxide if there is a need to induce vomiting? In most cases, the answer is yes.

It is safe to dogs hydrogen peroxide (3%) to induce vomiting if your dog has eaten something toxic, like grapes. Some dogs can eat grapes and be fine, but we still do not recommend it, just in case. Regardless, grapes and strawberries are some of the most highly sprayed and chemically treated fruits.

One challenge with peroxide is administering it. You need to get it towards the back so it will be swallowed but you do not want to squirt down the trachea and into the lungs. The dose is 1 ml per pound of your dog’s weight. A teaspoon is 5 mls. Regardless of the size of your dog, do not give more than 45 ml. You can repeat if there is no vomiting in 15 minutes.

I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. When dogs are being treated holistically and you are paying attention to the early warning signs of internal imbalance, they are usually healthy enough to not become ill.

AUTHOR PROFILE

Veterinarian Dr. Christina Chambreau graduated from the University of Georgia Veterinary College in 1980. She is a founder of the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy, was on the faculty of the National Center for Homeopathic Summer School and has been the holistic modality adjunct faculty liaison for the Maryland Veterinary Technician Program. Dr. Chambreau is author of Healthy Animal’s Journal, co-author of the Homeopathic Repertory: A Tutorial, and former Associate Editor of IVC Journal.